For a description of what's covered in each budget item calculation, click or hover over the budget item titles.
Use the student OCP budget tracking spreadsheet
created by a Student Alumni Mentor to help you stay on track.
Or, for more information on budgeting and budgeting app recommendations, read the finances sections in the Student Handbook for Off-Campus Programs.
Dartmouth Billable Expenses
Student-Covered Non-Billable Expenses
- Living Expenses: Students live with homestay hosts. Homestay hosts provide TBD meals. Visit the CASA website for more information.
- Dartmouth Fees: (see glossary)
- Dartmouth Tuition: Students pay their regular tuition to Dartmouth.
- Round-Trip Transportation: (see glossary)
- Food: Students may elect to purchase food outside of meals already provided by homestay hosts (optional). Tip: Research local food prices, determine the amount you intend to spend each week for your lifestyle, and multiply by the number of weeks on program to determine out-of-pocket food costs.
- Books, Course Materials, Supplies, and Equipment: (see glossary)
- Miscellaneous: (see glossary) It is recommended that students budget funds from the Miscellaneous category toward local/regional transportation costs.
Obtaining Funds for Non-Billable Items
High-need Financial Aid students
can obtain funds for non-billable budget items via a financial aid “refund.” Some high-need students not only will owe nothing on their billing statement but will have enough aid leftover to cover their round-trip transportation and other costs after their billed charges are paid. The following options are only available to students who will have a large enough refund available in their accounts to cover the travel charge. See more about studying away on Financial Aid.
Purchase your own flights upfront and reimburse yourself out of the account refund available at the start of the term.
If option 1 is not possible and if you qualify for this support, you may be able to book your flight through the College’s travel service, Travel Leaders,
where it is charged directly to your D-Pay account and your D-Pay credit balance will cover the cost of the ticket.
Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with any questions.
Amounts listed for individual budget items are the best estimates currently available.
Last updated for AY 2023-24 by CRT on 11 JAN 2024.